Effective Date: January 2022
Beacon Roofing Supply, Inc., and its subsidiaries and affiliates (“Beacon,” “we,” or “us”) respect and value your privacy. We encourage you to carefully read this Privacy and Cookie Notice (“Notice”) as it explains how we collect, use, share, and process your information; the choices you have regarding our use of your information; and how you may contact us regarding our privacy practices.
This Notice applies to the information we collect about you in the course of our business, including through all Beacon websites (the “Site”), mobile applications, and other uses of our online services (collectively, “Services”). This Notice also applies to information that we collect offline, including over the telephone or in person, such as at events, conferences, and at our branch locations.
By using the Services, you agree that we may use your information as described in this Notice.
This Notice contains the following sections:
1. INFORMATION WE COLLECT ABOUT YOU AND HOW
2. HOW WE USE THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT FROM YOU
3. WITH WHOM WE SHARE YOUR INFORMATION
4. COOKIES AND OTHER PASSIVE COLLECTION TECHNOLOGIES
5. SERVICES OFFERED THROUGH THIRD PARTY BUSINESS PARTNERS
6. CHILDREN’S PRIVACY
7. DATA TRANSFERS TO THE UNITED STATES
9. DATA RETENTION
10. YOUR RIGHTS AND CHOICES
11. NOTICE TO CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS
12. OTHER STATE LAW PRIVACY RIGHTS
13. LINKS TO THIRD PARTY SITES
15. HOW TO CONTACT US
The information we collect about you depends on the Services you use, how you use them, and the information you provide to us. We collect information from you in in multiple ways, including when you provide information directly to us, and when we passively collect information from you or your browser or device.
- Information You Provide Directly to Us. We may collect information from you when you create an account, make a purchase, request information or customer support, apply for employment with Beacon, join our email marketing list, or otherwise contact us.
- Information That Is Passively and/or Automatically Collected.
- Device/Usage Information. We may automatically collect certain information about the computer or devices (including mobile devices) you use to access the Services. As described further below, we may collect and analyze information such as (a) IP addresses, geo-location information, unique device identifiers and other information about your computer or mobile phone or other mobile device(s), browser types, browser language, operating system, the state or country from which you accessed the Services; and (b) information related to the ways in which you interact with the Services, such as: referring and exit pages and URLs, platform type, the number of clicks, domain names, landing pages, pages and content viewed and the order of those pages, the amount of time spent on particular pages, the date and time you used the Services, the frequency of your use of the Services, error logs, and other similar information. As described further below, we may use third-party analytics providers and technologies, including cookies and similar tools, to assist in collecting this information.
- Location Information. We also may automatically collect location information, including general location information (e.g., IP address, zip code) from your computer or mobile device. If you access the Services through a mobile device, we may ask you to share your precise geo-location information so that we can deliver customized content and advertising. If you do not wish to have this location information collected and used by us and our service providers, you may disable the location and Bluetooth features on your device. Please note that, if you disable such features, you will not be able to access or receive some or all of the services, content, features and/or products made available via the Services. To deliver customized content and advertising, we may share your location information, including geo-location information, with our agents, vendors, or advertisers.
- Cookies and other Electronic Technologies. We may also collect data about your use of the Services through web server logs, cookies and/or tracking pixels. A web server log is a file where website activity is stored. A cookie is a small text file that is placed on your computer when you visit a website, that enables us to: (i) recognize your computer; (ii) store your preferences and settings; (iii) understand the pages of the Services you have visited; (iv) enhance your user experience by delivering content specific to your interests; (v) perform searches and analytics; and (vi) assist with security administrative functions. Some cookies are placed in your browser cache, while those associated with Flash technologies are stored with your Adobe Flash Player files. Tracking pixels (sometimes referred to as “web beacons” or “clear GIFs”) are electronic tags with a unique identifier embedded in websites, online ads and/or email, and are designed to provide usage information like ad impressions or clicks, measure popularity of the Services and associated advertising, and access user cookies. We may also use these automated technologies to collect and analyze other information related to the devices you use to access the Services, such as IP addresses, browser types, browser language, operating system used, the domain name of your Internet service provider, unique device identifiers, and other information about your devices used to access the Services. These automated technologies may also collect information on the websites you have visited before and after you visit the Services, and the advertisements you have accessed, seen, forwarded, and/or clicked on when using the Services or other websites. We or third-party technologies we use may place or recognize a unique cookie on your browser to enable you to receive customized content, offers, services or advertisements on our websites or other sites. The cookies may be associated with de-identified demographic or other data linked to or derived from data you voluntarily have submitted to us (e.g., your email address) that we may share with a service provider solely in hashed, non-human readable form so that our service provider can deliver advertisements to you on our behalf. As we adopt additional technologies, we may also gather additional information through other methods.
- Please note that you can change your settings to notify you when a cookie is being set or updated, or to block cookies altogether. Please consult the "Help" section of your browser for more information (e.g., Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Apple Safari). You can also manage the use of Flash technologies, including cookies, with the Flash management tools available at Adobe's website. Please note that by blocking any or all cookies, you may not have access to certain features or offerings of the Services.
- Information Collected by and From Social Media and Other Content Platforms. If you access the Services through a third-party connection or log-in, such as through a social network, like Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter, you may allow us to have access to certain information in your profile. This may include your name, e-mail address, photo, gender, birthday, location, an ID associated with the applicable third-party platform or social networking account, user files like photos and videos, your list of friends, people you follow and/or who follow you, or your posts or “likes.”
- Information Collected from Other Sources. We may collect information about you from other sources, such as such as outside referrals and other customers.
The categories of information we may collect include:
- Contact Information, such as name, email address, phone number, and username.
- Demographic Information, such as country and postal code.
- Business Information, such as the name of your employer, business email address, business phone number, and business address.
- Order Information, such as shipping address, purchase and delivery details, and purchase and transaction history.
- Financial Information, such as credit reports, bank account and credit card information.
- Recruitment Information, such as curriculum vitae/resumes, work history, or qualifications for potential or actual applications for a position at Beacon; and
- Any other information that you provide to us that can be used to identify you.
We may aggregate or deidentify information that we collect about you and such aggregated or deidentified information is not subject to any restrictions under this Notice, and we may use or disclose it to others for any purpose, without limitation. However, if this information were to be linked with information above or otherwise become identifiable, we will treat such linked information in accordance with this Notice.
We use your information for the following purposes:
- Create and Manage Your Account: If you register for an account with us, we will collect your Contact Information, Demographic Information, and Business Information, and you will be asked to choose a password. We will use your information for all purposes related to your account, including, without limitation, providing administrative, maintenance, and support services; respond to inquiries, requests, or complaints, and to service account users.
- Process Applications and to Facilitate Contests and Sweepstakes: If you complete an application form on the Site to apply for financing through the Site or participate in a contest or sweepstakes, we may collect your Contact Information, Demographic Information, Business Information, and Financial Information. We will use this information to process and evaluate your application or contest or sweepstakes entry, and in the case of a contest of sweepstakes, to select a winner. You should carefully review the official rules of any sweepstakes or contest in which you participate.
- Process Orders and Assist with Your Purchase: In order to purchase any product through our Site, you must be logged into a Beacon account. We will use your account information to identify you and link your purchase information and order history to your account. We will also collect your Contact Information and Order Information to provide you with confirmation regarding your purchase. A third-party provider will collect your billing address and payment information, including your payment card number, security/CCV code, and expiration date. The third-party provider will use this information to process your payment and help us prepare for the shipping of such products. We will use the shipping address you provide for purposes of fulfilling orders and ensuring delivery.
- Respond to Requests, Inquiries, and Complaints: You may submit requests, inquiries, and complaints to Beacon regarding our Services. We will use your Contact Information and any other information you shared with us to communicate with and respond to you.
- Manage Our Relationship with You: We may use your Contact Information to send you important information regarding the Services or our relationship with you, such as information about changes to our terms, conditions, policies, and other administrative information, or about changes to our Services or any of our programs in which you might be enrolled. We may also send you news, updates, announcements, newsletters, and other marketing communications via email.
- Process Surveys, Reviews, and Feedback Forms: We may use online surveys, reviews, and feedback forms to gather opinions, comments, and suggestions about Beacon, our products, and our Services. Should you choose to disclose information to us, we will collect and use such information to understand your comments, communicate with you regarding your feedback, and make changes to our Services accordingly.
- Recruit and Hire Personnel: If you apply for employment with Beacon, we will collect your Contact Information, Recruitment Information, and any other information that may have an impact on your prospective employment. We will collect this information to evaluate your job application, consider you for that job or for similar jobs in the future, and contact you regarding possible employment.
- For Analytics: We may use Traffic Data to perform market research and data analytics. To learn more about how we use this information, please see Section 4 of this Notice.
- For Our Legal Purposes: We may use your information for complying with and enforcing applicable legal requirements, industry standards, and our contractual obligations. We may also use your information to establish, exercise, and defend potential legal claims.
- Other Purposes for Which We Seek Your Consent: We may use your information for a specific purpose that we communicate to you. We will ask for your consent to process your information for such purpose in accordance with applicable legal requirements.
We may use aggregate or deidentified information that does not identify an individual without restriction, and we may share such information with third parties.
We may share your information with the following categories of recipients and under the following circumstances:
- Consent. If you consent, we may disclose your information to non-affiliated third parties) in order to provide services or products that you have requested and/or services that we believe will interest you.
- Affiliates: We may share your information with our affiliates for purposes consistent with this Notice. Our affiliates will be bound to maintain your information in accordance with this Notice.
- Service Providers: Unless prohibited by contract or applicable law, we may share your information with third-party services providers that help us operate our business and provide our Services, including payment service providers, logistics providers, website and application hosting providers, cloud providers, analytics providers, security providers, marketing providers, and consultants.
- Third Party Business Partners: Certain programs, applications, or services available through the Site are made available through third party business partners. Please see Section 5 of this Notice.
- Business Transfers: We may transfer your information in the event of a business sale, merger, consolidation, change in control, transfer of substantial assets, bankruptcy, liquidation, or reorganization. We may also disclose your Personal Information in the course of due diligence of such a transaction. You acknowledge and agree that any successor to or acquirer of Beacon (or any of its assets) will continue to have the right to receive and use your information. Whether the recipient of your information in this event will handle your information pursuant to this Notice will depend on applicable law and other factors.
- Passively Collected Information: We may share Traffic Data that does not identify you directly, but may identify your computer or device, as described in Section 4 of this Notice.
We share your information with third parties only as described in this Notice, with your consent, or as disclosed at the time we collect your information.
- Online Analytics. We may use third-party web analytics services on our Services, such as those of Google Analytics. These service providers use the sort of technology previously described in the “Information We Collect About You and How” section to help us analyze how users use the Services including by noting the third-party website from which you arrive. The information (including your IP address) collected by the technology will be disclosed to or collected directly by these service providers, who use the information to evaluate your use of the Services. We also use Google Analytics for certain purposes related to advertising, as described in the following section. To prevent Google Analytics from using your information for analytics, you may install the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on by clicking here.
- Tailored Advertising. We may personalize the content and advertising that you see when using the Services through the use of third-party advertising technologies that allow for the delivery of relevant content and advertising on the Services, as well as other websites you visit and other applications, as well as other websites you visit and other applications you use. The ads may be based on various factors such as the content of the page you are visiting, information you provide such as your age and gender, your searches, demographic data, user-generated content, and other information we collect from you. These ads may be based on your current activity or your activity over time and may be tailored to your interests.
- If you are interested in more information about tailored browser advertising and how you can generally control cookies from being put on your computer to deliver tailored advertising, you may visit the Network Advertising Initiative’s Consumer Opt-Out link the Digital Advertising Alliance’s Consumer Opt-Out link or TRUSTe’s Advertising Choices Page to opt-out of receiving tailored advertising from companies that participate in those programs. You may also use the links available in advertisements that appear in the Services and learn more about our advertising practices through the “About Our Ads” link available through the Services.
- To opt out of Google Analytics for display advertising or to customize Google display network ads, you can visit the Google Ads Settings page. Please note that to the extent advertising technology is integrated into the Services, you may still receive advertisements even if you opt out of tailored advertising. In that case, the ads will just not be tailored. Also, we do not control any of the above opt-out links and are not responsible for any choices you make using these mechanisms or the continued availability or accuracy of these mechanisms.
- When using a mobile application, you may also receive tailored in-application advertisements. Each operating system, iOS for Apple phones and Android for Android devices provides its own instructions on how to prevent the delivery of tailored in-application advertisements. You may review the support materials and/or the privacy settings for the respective operating systems to opt-out of tailored in-application advertisements. For any other devices and/or operating systems, please visit the privacy settings for the applicable device or contact the applicable platform operator. We do not control how the applicable platform operator allows you to control receiving personalized in-application advertisements; thus, you should contact the platform provider for further details on opting out of tailored in-application advertisements.
- Please note that to the extent advertising technology is integrated into the Services, you may still receive advertisements even if you opt-out. In that case, the advertising will not be tailored to your interests.
- Do Not Track Signals: Our Site currently does not respond to “Do Not Track” (DNT) signals and operates as described in this Notice whether or not a DNT signal is received.
Some Services in which you may participate through Beacon are provided and operated by our third-party business partners. These include programs such as Delivery Tracker, HomeAdvisor, Job Nimbus, Online Bill Pay, and Storm. These programs, applications, and services are jointly branded by Beacon and the relevant third-party business partner so that you can identify the relevant third-party business partner. Our treatment of your information that is provided to participate in such Services is governed by this Notice, and the treatment of your information by our third-party business partners will be governed by the privacy policies of such third parties. While we endeavor to share your information only with third-party business partners that share similar privacy principles, we do not control how these third parties use or disclose your information.
Beacon’s Services are not intended for or directed at children under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect or solicit information through the Site or our Services from children under the age of 13. We reserve the right to delete any information identified as having been provided through the Site from children under the age of 13.
Beacon’s operations are located primarily in the United States. If you are outside of the United States and submit your information to us or otherwise use our Services, please be advised that (i) any information you provide to us or that we automatically collect will be transferred to the United States, where U.S. law may not offer the same privacy protections as the law of your jurisdiction; and (ii) by visiting our Site or using our Services, you explicitly authorize its transfer to and subsequent processing in the United States in accordance with this Notice.
We are committed to protecting your information using a variety of technical, physical, and organizational security measures designed to protect it. These measures vary based on the sensitivity of the data that we handle. However, no security measures are perfect or impenetrable. As such, we cannot guarantee the security of your information. When using your Beacon account, it is important that you select a strong password and do not share it with others. Alert us immediately if you have concerns about unauthorized access to or use of your account.
We retain information for so long as it may be relevant to the purposes for which we collect and use it, as described in this Notice, or for longer when required by law. We will delete, anonymize, or de-identify information when it is no longer required to fulfill these purposes.
We offer you choices and opportunities with respect to certain uses of your information.
- Adjust Your Marketing and Communications Preferences. Beacon may send you direct electronic communications, such as through email or text message. You may opt out of receiving these electronic communications by following the instructions in the message that you receive, or by sending an e-mail to Contact@becn.com indicating which communications you no longer wish to receive. Note that if you are a customer, we may still send certain administrative messages to you by email that relate to the products that you have ordered or Services that you have signed up to receive.
- Limit Information You Provide to Us. When you interact with us, you can choose to limit the information you provide. However, if you choose to do so, you may not be able to fully use many of our Services.
- Update Your Beacon Account. If you are a customer with a Beacon account, you can update your account sign in details and profile information by logging into your Beacon account and making such changes.
- Opt Out from Cookie-Related Processing. You can opt out from certain cookie-related processing as described in Section 4 of this Notice.
If you are a California resident, California law requires us to provide you with some additional information regarding how we collect, use, and share your “personal information” as defined in the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”), as well as information about your rights under the CCPA.
- How We Use These Categories of Personal Information. We and our service providers may use the categories of personal information we collect from and about you for the following business and commercial purposes (as those terms are defined in applicable law).
- Our or our service providers’ operational purposes.
- Auditing consumer interactions on or off our Services (e.g., measuring ad impressions).
- Detecting, protecting against, and prosecuting security incidents and fraudulent or illegal activity.
- Bug detection and error reporting.
- Customizing content that we or our service providers display on or off the Services (e.g., personalized ands or content).
- Providing the Services (e.g., account servicing and maintenance, customer service, advertising and marketing, analytics, and communication about the Services).
- Improving our existing Services and developing new services (e.g., by conducting research to develop new products or features).
- Verifying or maintaining the quality or safety of our Services, and to improve, upgrade, or enhance our Services.
- Other uses that advance our commercial or economic interests, such as third-party advertising.
- Other uses about which we notify you.
- Categories of Personal Information We Disclose for a Business Purpose. We may disclose the following categories of information about you or your use of our Services for business purposes (as defined by applicable law) or as required by applicable law: Identifiers (such as name, address, email address); commercial information (such as transaction data); financial data (such as credit card information); device identifiers (such as IP address and unique device identifiers); internet or other network or device activity (such as browsing history or app usage; general geolocation data from IP addresses; any user-generated content or feedback that you provide; professional or employment related data; inferences drawn from the information we collect about you that may reflect your preferences or interests; and other information that identifies or can be reasonably associated with you.
- Access. You have the right to request certain information about our collection and use of your personal information over the past 12 months, including:
- The categories of personal information that we have collected about you.
- The categories of sources from which that personal information was collected.
- The business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling your personal information.
- The categories of third parties with whom we have shared your personal information.
- The specific pieces of personal information that we have collected about you.
- Deletion. You have the right to request that we delete the personal information that we have collected from you. Under the CCPA, this right is subject to certain exceptions: for example, we may need to retain your personal information to provide you with the Services or complete a transaction or other action you have requested. If your deletion request is subject to one of these exceptions, we may deny your deletion request.
- Exercising Your Access and Deletion Rights. To exercise the rights described above, you must send us a request that (1) provides sufficient information to allow us to verify that you are the person about whom we have collected personal information, and (2) describes your request in sufficient detail to allow us to understand, evaluate, and respond to it. Each request that meets both of these criteria will be considered a “Valid Request.” We may not respond to requests that do not meet these criteria. We will only use personal information provided in a Valid Request to verify your identity and respond to your request. You do not need an account to submit a Valid Request. We will work to respond to your Valid Request within 45 days of receipt. We will not charge you a fee for making a Valid Request unless your Valid Request(s) is excessive, repetitive, or manifestly unfounded. If we determine that your Valid Request warrants a fee, we will notify you of the fee and explain that decision before completing your request. You may submit a Valid Request using https://www.becn.com/contact-us.
- There are various exceptions to your rights to Access and Deletion under the CCPA, and in some cases we are not required by the CCPA to complete your request in connection with personal information we obtain about you when you are acting as an employee, owner, director, officer, or contractor of a business, even if it is otherwise a Valid Request. If we do not respond to your request fully, we will provide you additional information about the reasons why.
- Authorized Agents. You may designate an agent to make the requests described above. If you do so, we will take steps both to verify the identity of the person seeking to exercise their rights as listed above, and to verify that your agent has been authorized by you to make a request on your behalf through providing us with a signed written authorization or a copy of a power of attorney.
- We Will Not Discriminate Against You for Exercising Your Rights Under the CCPA. We will not discriminate against you for exercising your rights under the CCPA. We will not deny you our goods or services, charge you different prices or rates, or provide you a lower quality of goods and services if you exercise your rights under the CCPA. However, we may offer different tiers of our Services as allowed by applicable data privacy laws (including the CCPA) with varying prices, rates, or levels of quality of the goods or services you receive related to the value of personal information that we receive from you.
- California Resident “Shine the Light” Rights. Under California Civil Code Sections 1798.83-1798.84, California residents are entitled to contact us to prevent disclosure of personal information to third parties for such third parties’ direct marketing purposes; in order to submit such a request, please contact us a thttps://www.becn.com/contact-us.
12. Other State Law Privacy Rights
- Nevada Resident Rights. If you are a resident of Nevada, you have the right to opt-out of the sale of certain Personal Data to third parties who intend to license or sell that Personal Data. You can exercise this right by contacting us at [insert email address] with the subject line “Nevada Do Not Sell Request” and providing us with your name and the email address associated with your account. Please note that we do not currently sell your Personal Data as sales are defined in Nevada Revised Statutes Chapter 603A.
We may update this notice from time to time to reflect changes to our privacy practices. Please review this Notice periodically for the latest information on our privacy practices. Any amended Notice supersedes all previous versions. If any modification to this Notice is not acceptable to you, you should cease accessing, browsing, and otherwise utilizing Beacon’s website, as well as its programs, services, and events. Your continued use of our Services after those changes are in effect constitutes your agreement to the revised Notice.
If you have any questions regarding this Notice or our use of your information under this Notice, please contact us at:
Beacon Roofing Supply, Inc.
505 Huntmar Park Drive
Herndon, VA 20170